Paul Downton, the England and Wales Cricket
Board managing director, will begin the task of finding Flower's successor after Giles and the England team return home from Australia on Monday.Cricket
"I'd be very interested in doing the job, definitely," the England limited-overs coach said, after his side finished their nightmare tour with an 84-run defeat in Sydney to concede the Twenty20 series 3-0. "I'm not going to deny that and I'm sure I will be applying for the pos...."
The 40-year-old said he had already spoken to Downton following Flower's decision, which came as a shock to him.
Defeat in Sydney condemned England to a second series whitewash of the winter, following their 5-0 Ashes embarrassment, after losing the one-day international series 4-1.
Giles is reluctant to think too far ahead with a limited-overs tour to the West Indies and the World T20, which starts in Bangladesh on 16 March, foremost in his thoughts.
"I've not given him my CV yet," he said. "I think it is important that I control what is coming up in the next couple of months. If I have to put an application in over the next couple of weeks then I'll think about that and get it done.
"Results will talk as well and I've got a really big series in the West Indies and more importantly the World Cup in Bangladesh. Our record in the sub-continent for limited-overs cricket isn't brilliant so it is a good challenge.
"We're pretty much at base level right now. We have a lot of work to do and before that we have a lot of talking to do about which squad we take."
England cricket team
Australia v England limited-overs internationals 2014
Share on LinkedIn
Share on Pinterest
Share on WhatsApp
Share on Messenger
Read the full story