Wirthmann said firefighters were called to the complex at 100 Woodland Pond Circle at 12:30 p.m. and, on arrival, found a light haze of smoke on the sixth floor in the north wing.
Firefighters determined that a furnace unit of a hot air handling system in the attic had overheated, sparking a small fire, Wirthmann said.
Wirthmann said the blaze was quickly contained and extinguished, and that the damage was limited to the unit itself.
He said there were no injuries to firefighters or residents, and that the evacuation was limited to residents on the sixth floor. <...r>
Wirthmann said the fire appears to have been caused by an electrical failure of a heat regulating sensor in the furnace.
The facility's website said Woodland Pond has 177 apartment style units, and 24 private cottages open to residents 62 years old and older spread out across an 83-acre campus.
Read the full story